The school was named Meredale Infant School in 1949 and was a council ran school until 2004.
Kinder Groups acquired the school in 2004, restoring the building to its former Edwardian splendour, prior to its re-opening in January 2005 naming it Meredale Independent School.
Established nearly 100 years ago, the school was originally an Edwardian school serving the educational needs of children in the area.
Erected in 1906 at a cost of £4500, Rainham Council School was designed to accommodate 250 pupils. It was very soon enlarged to 400 and with the large assembly hall and well ventilated classrooms, was considered to be a "perfect type of a modern scholastic establishment.”